These cookie bars taste similar to a “no bake” cookie, minus the peanut butter and minus the somewhat off-putting texture of the no bake. Use the best quality chocolate that you can, and you will be glad you did! Good ingredients usually = good end-result. You can taste the difference with low end chocolate.
Begin by creaming together the brown sugar and butter. Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
In a different bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add slowly to the wet ingredients and press into a parchment lined 9×13 inch pan. Set aside. Next, get 6oz of some decent chocolate. Melt it with the sweetened condensed milk and butter in a double boiler.
Once everything is melted and mixed well together, slowly pour the chocolate mixture over the cookie mixture in the pan.
Then pop it in the oven and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. It will look something like this…
Once cooled, you can cut the pan up into bars or squares, whichever size you prefer. Store them in tupperware containers with leads to keep them fresh as long as possible. And viola! You have ready to eat on the go chocolate oatmeal bars. MMMmmmm!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1½ cups oatmeal, quick cooking
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 6 oz Milk Chocolate
- Cream brown sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together dry ingredients.
- Slowly add in to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Press mixture into a 9x13 lined with parchment, non-stick foil, or well prepped with baking spray. Using a double boiler, or a pot with an inch of water and another glass or metal bowl on top of it. Simmer water underneath, and add condensed milk, chocolate, and butter to top bowl.
- Stir until melted and combined.
- Pour chocolate mixture over bars in prepped pan.
- Bake at 350 for 12-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.