Yay! It’s getting warmer outside…. finally! We had the longest darkest ickiest winter EVER in Cleveland, Ohio! Midwest to Northeast area of our country got hit pretty hard this year. It’s so nice to see sunshine and feel the WARMTH!! :))) BUT, if you are like me (not a snow bunny), the last thing I want to do is go out in the cold to get to the gym, and typically the winter time is when everyone slows down. We tend to hibernate, be less active, and eat more food. So come Spring and Summer, you’ve added a few pounds, feel kinda sluggish and tired, and realize your summer attire doesn’t seem to fit quite right! Oops!
Some people tend to get overwhelmed too when the warmer months hit, because it can be quite a daunting task to find the perfect workout routine and the perfect diet… on top of all the other 100 things we juggle on a weekly basis. Our minds get in the way with thoughts of it taking too long to drop the winter weight and actually seeing results. I know how it goes, you are not alone! So how to handle this obstacle?
I have found the best thing to do is to get your mind out of it, and just get moving! But make it fun, so it doesn’t seem like such a task!! Here I have put together some very simple tips to just – get – moving! It’s mindless really… because the last thing I want to do is have to put a lot of mind time and planning into an exercise routine… that compounds the “slump” factor! Just get moving … get out there, breathe deep, enjoy the sunshine, ENJOY where you are at, run around, play around, and getcha sweat on! The rest will fall into place.
SO, here are 12 ways to jumpstart summer with super simple tips:
1. Get outside! Breathe deep, smile, enjoy, getcha Vitamin D on and really appreciate the new season!
2. Throw on your kicks! Flip flops won’t help getcha sweat on! They will help you lounge in the shade … so lace ‘em up and let’s go!
3. Sunglasses & iPod! Protect those eyes and bring music along to get you pumped UP! and in the mood to JAM!
4. Dance it out! Let loose, have a good time… who cares who’s watching!
5. Stretch it out! Unkink that whole winter of hibernation!
6. Warm up: Jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups … whatever! It doesn’t matter, just get your heart rate up and that blood pumping!
7. Get some weight action on! Whatever poundage works for you.. I start with 2 & 5 lb. dumbbells.
8. Take a fetch break! If you’re like me with a dog who loves to play, rolling around and chasing after them for 30 minutes is a workout in itself! For non-dog people … play with your kids, go swimming, dust off your bike, do whatever you enjoy!
9. Jog around the neighborhood for 30 minutes of cardio activity! OR .. just walk fast!
10. HYDRATE!!!! Super important! Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces per day (minimum) to flush toxins and move waste. Get as clean of water as you can find.
11. Add extra detox power by adding fresh organic squeezed lemon juice and pulp to your water!
12. Use supportive nutrition with super duper super foods! Examples: Greens (any and all kinds), bee pollen, ginger, turmeric, berries (any and all kinds, big in anti-oxidants), Matcha powder! for tea or food recipes, herbal/medicinal teas like white, green, chamomile, dandelion, matcha, etc., a good quality pro-biotic, avocados, coconut, coconut water, coconut oil, beets, cauliflower, chia seeds, garlic, onions, mushrooms, tropical fruits, limes, sprouts, pumpkin, tomato, nuts! lotsa raw nuts!, quinoa, hemp, sweet potatoes, and olive oil (I use extra virgin cold pressed organic olive oil). These are just a few examples of super foods to get you started… sooooo many more to explore!
Use these simple tips to just get started… it’s all about taking those first steps. Don’t worry about being perfect, just have fun with it. You’ll feel better, you’ll sleep better, and it won’t be long before you’ll want to exercise again! The routine of how’s and why’s will naturally follow!
Leanne & Mason ♥