Next time you roast beets for dinner, roast a few extras, so you can enjoy this salad the next day. You can used canned whole beets for this recipe too, but fresh is always best. Beets have so many health benefits, one big one being a natural liver and gallbladder cleanser. Beets and beet juice help to keep the bile thin, as well as break up/thin out any bile sludge for easy flow. It helps the liver expel toxins while delivering important nutrients for repair.
If you need to roast your beets, cover them in foil and put them in a 400F oven for about one hour. Chop the ends of the beets and peel them while they’re still warm. Cut them into junks and add all the garnishes of the salad like cheese, pine nuts, herbs, spices and oil. This recipe makes 4 salads.
- 4 medium roasted beets, diced*
- 2 tablespoons hemp, olive or other salad oil*
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice*
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped lemon thyme*
- Optional: Field greens or lettuce mix*
- ¼ cup crumbled feta*
- ¼ cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts, pecans, etc.*
- Salt and pepper*
- All items with star * = Organic.
- Combine the beets, oil, lemon juice and lemon thyme in a mixing bowl.
- If you don’t have lemon thyme, you can use fresh basil, oregano or regular thyme.
- Dry herbs will also work, but use them sparingly.
- Get 4 serving bowls ready and add a bed of mixed greens, if you’re using them.
- Top with the beet mixture. Sprinkle with feta, pine nuts, salt and pepper.