You’re dead to the world asleep when that annoying 5 a.m. alarm clock goes off forcing you to wake to a new day. Most of us stumble out of bed and head straight to the coffee pot in the morning. For the few percent who have trained their bodies on super clean diets and skip the coffee/sugary drinks in the morning, but indulge in the finest green or white tea from Japan, or some other robust root herb loaded with mysterious healing and detoxing properties.. well, you’re the exception. 🙂 It’s safe to say that most Americans are filling up their coffee pots (most likely with conventional coffee), heading off to Starbucks for their morning fix of mocha fracca super skinny latte cappuccino with extra whip, making black tea loaded with sugar and milk, or some other smoothie concoction that has dairy, sugar, and ice in it to wake up with. WELL, over time these daily habits really put stress on the body and kidneys, especially the liver.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good cup of coffee, but I will only drink organic coffee, preferably Fair Trade organic coffee. I don’t add sugar or milk or chemically flavored syrups to my coffee.. I drink it straight. I enjoy green and white teas as well as the root herb teas or other teas with medicinal properties like chamomile. I tend to switch my routine up a bit, some days I’ll start with coffee, or I’ll make coffee mid morning .. other days it’s herb teas or Japanese teas… but the very first thing I like to drink in the morning before anything else (other than water), is hot lemon water with raw honey!
I find when I start every single day with coffee coffee coffee.. the more I feel run down, foggy, & fatigued on a regular basis. Even on organic coffee .. while coffee has it’s health benefits, (especially in colonics!) .. I’m not so sure it’s great to use that jOlT of caffeine to WAKE up your body and organs and all systems/functions from 8-10 hours of slumber on a regular basis, especially since coffee is a natural diuretic that will dehydrate you over time if you’re not replenishing with water throughout the day. BUT, when I start my days with hot lemon water with honey, it’s a whole different story! It’s nourishing, replenishing, hydrating, toxin removing, fragrant, and medicinal all in one! I wake up faster, don’t have the mid morning or mid afternoon crash, and I just feel more naturally refreshed all around, rather than “stimulated” from caffeine.
15 Reasons To Start Your Day With Hot Lemon Water and Raw Honey
1. It hydrates your cells and wakes UP your organs!
2. Aids bile production in your liver and gallbladder and regulates digestion.
3. Helps cleanse and detox your lymphatic system.. sooo important! Think of your lymph as like dirty dish water in the sink … need to flush it out and replace with clean lymph.
4. Boots your immune system against illness and ramps up your defense against oxidation (aging).
5. Fights against UTI’s (urinary tract infections) by flushing the ureter, bladder, and kidneys .. lemon juice and honey both have anti-microbrial/viral/bacterial/fungal properties!
6. Relieve constipation by encouraging the bowels to move, hydrates the colon which is essential to elimination.
7. Heals skin issues ranging from acne, to eczema, psoriasis, and other rashes as well as improves skin complexion, elasticity, signs of aging with wrinkles, dark spots, large pores.. and enhances your natural glow from the inside out! The vitamin C component helps to combat free radical damage and is vital for healthy glowing skin while its alkaline nature kills some types of bacteria known to cause acne.
8. Lemon juice is a natural liver cleanser! Encourages the liver to “dump” toxins out for elimination.
9. Balances pH Levels. Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. Once metabolized, the citric acid does not create acidity in the body. Disease can only occur when your body’s pH is too acidic. Lemon water helps to remove acidity, including uric acid in the joints, which is a primary cause of pain and inflammation.
10. Encourages natural weight loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. Studies have shown people who maintain a more alkaline diet and lifestyle, do in fact lose weight faster.
11. Natural energy booster minus the caffeine! Honey is what bees sustain themselves on, and look at all their energy! It’s considered the only complete food in the world of Chinese medicine. Water helps clear your mind by providing fresh oxygen to your brain, lemon activates your digestive system first thing in the morning, and moving those toxins out that otherwise lay stagnant in our bodies causing the lethargy. The scent of lemon is known to be a natural relaxant and can uplift your mood.
12. Helps relieve bad breath and improves oral health. Lemon’s acidic nature combined with natural medicinal properties of honey kill off bad bacteria, while naturally cleansing your mouth and activating your saliva glands to keep your mouth hydrated.
13. Natural wound healer. Just like improving the skin conditions above, the antimicrobial/fungal/viral/bacterial properties of lemon and honey help the body heal wounds like scrapes, cuts, burns, and insect bites faster because it’s giving the body what it needs to support the healing process and water is the medium that carries these nutrients to the wound site.
14. Reduces the risk of heart disease. Honey has been shown to revitalize the arteries and veins in the heart while reducing cholesterol! Lemon and water flushing toxins out from the body will allow the heart to function optimally and pump blood to vital organs more efficiently.
15. Curtails hunger pangs and has a low glycemic index. The high fiber and alkaline properties can curb your urge to snack by filling your stomach with water to take the edge off, and adding a little natural sweetness to satisfy the sweet tooth. Honey is low on the glycemic index, so it won’t raise your blood sugar too high. Instead, it burns slowly in the body by breaking down the natural sugar gradually, thus sustaining sugar levels and helping you feel satisfied longer.
So, give it a try! Every morning for a few weeks at least, start your day with hot lemon water and organic raw honey. Do not boil the water, luke warm to slightly hot is best. Freshly squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into your mug (you may start with half a lemon and work your way up), and add 1 Tsp to 1 TBS or honey. Stir, sip, enjoy!